Tuesday 19 April 2011

Pina Colada Cake and Happy Birthday to Me


It was my birthday on Friday. I'm not sure how I feel about my birthday. I'm not overly keen on the getting older pat. I am now in the last year of my 20's after all. But if I separate it from that, its ok. Its a day I can enjoy, celebrate the things that I love about my life, and spend time with the people I love as well. Its also an excuse to make a big, bad beautiful cake (if I do say so myself).

Since I purchased Sky High I definitely have a baker's crush, on this book and the faceless people who wrote it. They are talented and they love cake. My kind of people. If I was on the same continent I might like to meet them so that I could shake their hands and tell them they have created a very cool, very inspirational book. Alisa, Peter, you rock.


So armed with my very valid excuse to make cake, I browsed through the gorgeous book, ooh-ing and aah-ing at pretty much each and every recipe. I mean, how is a girl supposed to pick just one when they are all so beautiful?? So, to help me narrow down the choice I decided to not go with chocolate, and to choose something different. Something nobody at work (yes, I was making this for people at work and not people at my huge birthday party. Because I didn't have a huge birthday party. I'm ok with no party. I private partied. Sheesh my colleagues are a spoiled lot!) had ever seen before.

And then my eyes fell on the Pina Colada Cake. It had rum. I was almost convinced right there. It had pineapple and coconut. It was pretty. I've never seen a Pina Colada cake before. It would be a challenge. Sold.


More... )

No comments:

Post a Comment