Wednesday 27 April 2011

Ginger Ice Cream in a Pecan Cashew Cup


The April 2011 Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Evelyne of the blog Cheap Ethnic Eatz. Evelyne chose to challenge everyone to make a maple mousse in an edible container. Prizes are being awarded to the most creative edible container and filling, so vote on your favorite from April 27th to May 27th at http://thedaringkitchen.com!


So, I have made ice cream and not mousse to go in my cashew and pecan nut containers. I was a disorganised unlucky last minute baker this month. I don't know how the date snuck up on me. So when it came to tonight and doing it late-ish, I discovered that the maple syrup stocks were pitifully low. Almost non-existant. oops.



Luckily I had planned to make ice cream this week, which is the perfect thing to put in my little pecan/cashew cups, so all was not lost.


I love making ice cream. Now that I have my Kitchenaid ice cream bowl that is. I never had much success with the manual churning old fashioned way. I did try. It didn't turn out great. I made sorbet last night - the healthy alternative to ice cream. But it does not quite match up to the dreamy, creamy, rich luxuriousness of real full-cream ice cream. My waistline will not thank me for this. Moderation. Try not to eat a huge bowlful. Trying... hard... Failing, I'm so weak....



Thank you Evelyne for a lovely challenge. I thoroughly enjoyed making the nut cups. They are sweet, simple and delicious. I can't wait to see who wins the most creative container! All the DB contributions are so beautiful and innovative, they are a joy to look at. Now I'm dying to try tuile cups, chocolate spoons and jello containers!



Ginger Ice Cream

From Delicious Magazine

What you will need:
200ml full cream milk
3 large egg yolks
100g golden caster sugar
2 tbsp stem ginger syrup
300ml double cream
65g stem ginger, finely chopped

What to do:
Bring the milk to the boil in a medium sized heavy-bottomed saucepan
Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks, sugar and ginger syrup in the bowl of a stand mixer, or with a hand mixer, until pale and moussey, approx 3 minutes.
Slowly pour the hot milk into the sugar mixture and mix well.
Return to the saucepan and heat gently, stirring, until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, 3-4 minutes. Be careful here. Don't over cook the mixture or you'll end up with sweet scrambled eggs.
Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly before adding the ginger and the cream. Then chill overnight, or if you're me and impatient, flash chill in the freezer for an hour, stirring after 20 minutes and then 40 minutes.
Mix and then churn in an ice cream maker, or in the ice cream bowl of a Kitchenaid as per the manufacturer's instructions, until froze. Transfer to an old ice cream container and allow to freeze overnight. Or just eat it straight away like I did. I'm home alone, who's looking? teeheehee

 

Pecan Cashew Cups

From Evelyn of Cheap Ethnic Eatz

What you will need:
1 1/2 cups pecans and cashews
1 egg, beaten, at room temperature
2 tbsp dark brown sugar

What to do:
Use a food processor or a zip-lock back with a rolling pin to crush your nuts if whole, use about 1 cup of whole nuts to get 3/4 cups crushed. You want it somewhat coarse.
In a bowl mix the nuts with the beaten egg and the sugar.
Take 6 small ½ cup capacity Pyrex cups, or a muffin tin in my case, and line the inside with aluminum foil. Spread ¼ cup of the mixture in the bowl, all the way up to the sides making sure you have a thin and even clean layer all around.
Bake at 350 degrees F/175 degrees C. until the nuts are golden and fragrant (about 15 minutes). Let cool completely before unmolding.

Orignal From: Ginger Ice Cream in a Pecan Cashew Cup

No comments:

Post a Comment