Thursday 4 February 2010

A new kind of chicken and some sticky dough

Yesterday was the typical busy weekday. I was at work until a little after 5pm, then off to the gym for my 45 mins of running and my weights circuit, then home and shower and try to keep myself on my feet for cooking while my legs are feeling decidedly jelly-ish and in real danger of buckling under me while I have a knife in my hand. As I was feeling rather exhausted the plan was simple but tasty. I also needed to start the dough for my Graham Crackers so that I can construct my Nanaimo bars tonight. The dough needs to be chilled overnight so some degree of planning is required. The dough was very simple to get to the chilling stage. Into the food processor with all 3 types of flour (Sweet/glutinous rice flour, Tapioca Starch/Flour and Sorghum Flour), dark brown sugar, Bicarb and salt. Whizzed it all up and then added cubes of cold butter then as soon as the breadcrumb-like stage is reached, add the milk, vanilla extract and honey until the dough comes together. The dough is very soft and will be interesting to roll out, but at the moment it is in a pretty rectangle shape in the fridge awaiting its completion tonight.

Once the dough was wrapped up and happy in the fridge, I started with dinner which was an interesting asian-style chicken with jasmine rice and soya beans. The chicken was unbelievable easy and very tasty which I was rather impressed with. The sauce teamed up well with a plain rice and after boiling the soya beans for a couple of minutes I simple seasoned them with sea salt and finely chopped chilli. All in all it was ready in about 20 minutes so for a simple yet tasty weekday dish this one certainly worked for me.

1/4c Soy Sauce
1/3c Sherry
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 stick cinnamon
2 whole star anise

bring the above to the boil in a non-stick frying pan, then turn down the heat and add 2 chicken breasts. Cook for 4-5 minutes per side or until cooked through and then serve with rice and your choice of veg. Sweet and simple. Or rather salty and simple to be more specific, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

So the plan tonight is another chicken dish, I'm still trying to decide what what exactly, I'm thinking chicken breast stuffed with something and wrapped in parma ham, but I'll see what inspires me tonight.
 
until tomorrow, happy cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment