Thursday 14 January 2010

Time to start

The Plan? Give myself something to do every day, one day at a time.

Over the Christmas period I watched Julie & Julia for the first time, and I do admit, I have become addicted. I have watched it twice more since then and I'm trying to figure out what it is about this movie that has hit such a chord with me. Is it that she is also stuck in a job that is just a job, and not a career? Is it that she loves food and cooking? Is it that she came up with a great idea to write about her self-delegated project of cooking her way through Mastering the Art of French Cooking? Is it beacuse she went from being a nobody to being a somebody? Or is it all of the above? Yes, I think it is all of the above. I feel like I am in a job, not a career, and fast approaching the 28th year of my life I really do not feel like I have achieved anything career-wise. I have been in a couple of good jobs but left them for various reasons and as I am not 'degree qualified' I have to start the next job at the very bottom of the food chain and remain rather poor. I do love cooking and love food, and as such have to subject myself to regular gym sessions to prevent the expanding waistline which threatens with every delectable mouthful of Brie and glass of red wine. I have not ever had any great ideas in my life - I am a nobody to all except the tiny handful of important people in my life.

So, I am going to attempt to quit whining to myself about how sad and pointless my life may be, and start a project. I am good at starting projects but rarely get anywhere near finishing them or continuing them for any length of time. I am hoping that this blog posting may give me a sense of accountability, so even if nobody is reading it I can pretend that they are and as I have a real phobia of public humiliation, I will carry on even if my resolve wanes.

What am I going to do? I am going to cook, something new and never before attempted by me, ever night. And I will write about it, the successess and failures and anything else interesting that may pop up in between. So off to ponder tonights dinner plan, of Butternut and Blue Cheese Risotto. Not very challenging I am sure but I've never done anything with blue cheese before as its mouldy look and pungent odour does tend to put me off, but theres a first time for everything and tonight, blue cheese is my something.

No comments:

Post a Comment