Monday 26 July 2010

Daring Bakers Challenge - July 2010


The July 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Sunita of Sunita’s world – life and food. Sunita challenged everyone to make an ice-cream filled Swiss roll that’s then used to make a bombe with hot fudge. Her recipe is based on an ice cream cake recipe from Taste of Home.

I have never made ice cream before but I have always wanted to try it (although an ice cream maker may have made the whole process somewhat easier) so I thought the Daring Bakers challenge this month was the perfect opportunity to stop procrastinating and start doing. I had never made a swiss roll either although the concept of swill rolls and roulades have always fascinated me. I have a lovely vegetarian cookbook by Simon Rimmer which has recipes for 2 savoury vegetarian roulades that I have never made due to the fact that I do not have a swiss roll tin. AgainI get to thank Sunita and this challenge being the excuse for me to finally go out and buy a swill roll tin, so that now I have successfully completed the swiss roll in the challenge, next stop the roulade!

I did enjoy the ice cream making process. It is easier than one would think, besides the elbow grease involved in the churning. My coconut ice cream ended up a bit harder than I thought it should be but I suspect that this is due to the fact that the coconut cream I used is not the same as the sweetened coconut cream used in the American ice cream recipe I was using. It did taste ok however so I can't complain. The lime ice cream turned out great and so did the white chocolate/vanilla/almond swiss roll that I filled with blueberry jam, so 2 out of 3 ain't bad hey?

I will definitely be trying the ice cream thing again, as well as savoury roulades, so stay posted for those posts, coming soon here! 

3 comments:

  1. I am interested in learning more about these vegetarian roulades... Your bombe looks fantastic! That white chocolate/vanilla/almond roll sounds so good, I think I have to reach through the screen and try a piece!
    Great job on the challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - your bombe looks beautiful, not to mention delicious.Your flavors sound fantastic, and I love the way you presented the photos, too - really gives a great feel for the process. Amazing job with this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The white chocolate, vanilla almond roll is incredibly eye catching and it looks beautiful - the blueberry jam filling really sounds great with that combo! Great step by step photos too!

    ReplyDelete